Recreation, Leisure, and Social Programs
The Bureau has a furlough program for inmates who have community custody and have two (2) years or less from their anticipated release date. An inmate who meets the eligibility requirements may submit an application for furlough to staff for approval. Furloughs may be granted for the following reasons:
- Visits to dying immediate family members.
- Attendance at funeral of an immediate family member.
- Obtaining medical services not otherwise available.
- Contacting prospective employers.
- Establishing or reestablishing family or community ties.
- Transferring directly to another institution.
- Participating in selected educational, social, civic, religious and recreational activities,
- which will facilitate release transition.
- Any other significant reason consistent with the public interest.
In all units, pre-release programming will be emphasized, and staff will address concerns about readjustment, current community issues and educational/vocational opportunities. For eligible inmates, furloughs and Community Correction Center (halfway houses) placements will be considered.
Central Inmate Monitoring System
If an inmate requests permission to marry he must:
- Have a letter from the intended spouse which verifies her intention to marry.
- Demonstrate legal eligibility to marry.
- Be mentally competent.
- The marriage must not present a security risk to the institution.
The Chaplains are available to discuss with an inmate issues of marriage while incarcerated.