FCI Oakdale Mental Health of Prisoners

Sep, 19 11 Post by: admin | No Comments


PSYCHOLOGY SERVICES departments in all Bureau of Prisons institutions offer basic mental health care to inmates. This care may include screening.. assessment and treatment of mental health or drug abuse problems, Individual and/or group counseling. psycho–educational classes, self·help and supportive services, or referrall to Health Services for medical treatment of a mental illness.

In addition, Psychology Services staff, along with other programming staff in the institution. collaborates with your Unit Team to develop a comprehensive assessment of your strengths and weaknesses. Based on this assessment, Psychology Services will offer programming recommendations specific to your psychological needs. These recommendations are designed to ensure your successful adjustment to incarceration and prepare you for your eventual release. We encourage you to participate actively in the assessment process. If mental health or drug abuse programming Is recommended for you, Psychology Services staff will provide ongoing feedback to you and your unit team regarding your progress toward these programming goals.

If you are new to the Bureau, or if you If you are new to the Bureau, or if you have previously Identmed mentai health or drug abuse programming needs, you will be scheduled for an interview with Psychology Services staff. The purpose of this Interview Is to review your history and identify your progli1mming needs. This interview Is an Ideal time for you to share your interest In specific services, such as drug abuse treatment or mental health counseling.

The Psychology Services department at this Complex is staffed by:




The department’s offices are located next to the special housing unit at the FCI. There are a number of ways to contact Psychology Services at this Institution. You may:

Submit an Inmate Request to a Staff Member (a “Cop-out”‘) to Psychology Services.
Visit the department during “Open House” hours. Open House is held on Tuesday from
11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the FCI Psychology Department located next to the Special Housing Unit.
Speak with a Psychology Services staff member during mainline or as they make rounds in your unit.
Or in the case of a crisis Situation, notify your Unit Officer, Unit Team, or any other Bureau staff member of your urgent need to speak with Psychology Services.
Incarceration can be a difficult experience. At times you may feel discouraged, frustrated and helpless. It is not uncommon for people to experience depression while in jail or prison, especially If they are newty Incarcerated, serving a long sentence, experiencing family problems, struggling to get along with other inmates, or receiving bad news. Over time, most inmates successfully adapt to incarceration and find ways to use their time productivety and meaningfully. However, some Inmates continue to struggle with the pressures of incarceration and become overwhelmed by a sense of hopelessness. If you feel a sense of hopelessness or begIn thinking about suicide, talk to a staff member. Help is available and actively seeking help is a sign of your strength and determination to prevail. If you feel you are in imminent danger of harming yourself or someone else, you should contact a staff member immediately. In addition, if you suspect another inmate Is contemplating suicide, please notify a staff member. Staff does not always see everything inmates see. And, most suicidal individuals display some warning signs of their intentions. PLEASE alert a staff member right away If you suspect a fellow inmate is considering suicide. The most effective way to prevent another person from taking his or her life Is to recognize the factors that put people at risk for suicide take warning signs seriouslv and know how to respond. The warning signs of suicide may include:

a. threatening to hurt or kill oneself or talking about wanting to hurt or kill oneself
b. feeling hopeless
c. feeling rage or uncontrolled anger or seeking revenge
d. increased alcohol or drug use
e. withdli1wing from friends, (amity, associates
f. experiencing dramatic mood changes
g. feeling amdous or agitated, being unable to sleep, or sleeping all the time
h. seeing no reason for living or having no sense of purpose
If your friend, cellmale, coworker, or associate is exhibiting these signs, start by telling the person you are concerned and give him/ her examples of what you see that worries you. listen and encourage the person to seek help. If they are heSitant, offer to go with them to speak to a staff member. If you are not confident they will seek help, notify a staff member yourself. Seeking help for a person In distress
isn’t “snitchlng”i it Is showing concern for the welfare of a fellow human being. If you report your concerns to staff, you can rest easy knowing you did everything within your power to assist the

If you are Interested in assisting Psychology Services with suicide prevention efforts, you may choose to
participate In this Institution’s Inmate companion program. Inmates who are interested in serving as suicide watch inmate companions must meet the following criteria: (1) be a sentenced SOP inmate; (2) no 100 series Incident reports In the past 3 years; (3) may not be in FRP, DRG ED, or GED refusal status;
(4) are not experiencing any acute or recent psychological problems. If you would like more information about this program, please speak with a member of the department.


Drug abuse programming is available in all Bureau institutions. The Bureau of Prisons offers a drug education course as well as treatment options for inmates who have abused alcohol and/or drugs.

A. Drug Abuse Education Course

The Drug Abuse Education Course is not drug treatment. The purpose of the course is to encourage you to review the consequences of your choice to have drugs in your life, to look at the relationship between drug use and crime, and to begin t’o think about how different your life could be without drugs. looking at your drug involvement In this way may motivate you to ask for drug abuse treatment.

If your pre-sentence report documents a prolonged history of drug use, evidence that alcohol or drug use contributed to the commission of your offense, a judicial recommendation for treatment, or a violation of community supervision as a result of alcohol or drug use, you are required to take the Drug Abuse Education Course. Falling to take this required course results in your ineligibility for performance pay above maintenance pay level, as well as ineligibiHty for bonus or vacation pay. You will also not be eligible for a Federal Prison Industries work program assignment. If you are not sure what this means, you may want to ask your counselor.

The Drug Abuse Education Course is available In every Bureau of Prisons institution. If you are required to complete the course, your name will automatically be placed on the waiting list for the course. When it is time for you to complete the course, Psychology Services staff will contact you. If you would like to enroll in the course, but are not required to participate, you may submit an Inmate Request to a Staff Member (a “Cop-Out” ) in order to place your name on the waiting list for the course.
B. Nonresidential Drug Abuse Treatment

Nonresidential Drug Abuse Treatment is also available in every Bureau institution. Nonresidential Drug Abuse Treatment has been developed to provide the flexibility necessary to meet each individual’s treatment needs, and more specifically for:

Inmates with a relatively minor or low-level drug abuse problem, Inmates with a drug use disorder who do not have sufficient time to complete the intensive Residential Drug Abuse Treatment Program (RDAP), Inmates with longer sentences who are in need of treatment and are awaiting placement in the RDAP, Inmates with a drug use history who chose not participate in the RDAP, but want to prepare for staying sober in the community, and Inmates who completed the unit-based portion of the RDAP and are required to continue treatment until their transfer to a Residential Reentry Center (half-way house).

Program completion awards are only available for those who complete the program. If you are Interested, ask the Institution’s drug abuse treatment staff for more information on these awards,

Residential Drue Abuse Treatment

The RDAP provides intensive drug abuse treatment to inmates diagnosed with a drug use disorder. Inmates in the residential program are housed together in a treatment unit that is set apart from the general population. Treatment is provided for a minimum 9 months; however, your time In the program depends on your progress in treatment.

To apply for the RDAP you must send an Inmate Request to a Staff Member (a “Cop-Out”‘) to obtain an interview for the program, First, staff will screen your pre-sentence report to determine if there Is any documentation Indicating that you have a pattern of drug abuse or dependence, If so, you will be referred to the Drug Abuse Program Coordinator for an interview to determine If you meet the diagnostic criteria for a substance use disorder,

Inmates who are diagnosed with a drug use disorder are qualified for the RDAP and are admitted to the program based on their nearness to release, as mandated by federal statute. You must have enough time left to serve on your sentence to complete the unft·based component and the community transition component of the proBram, Follow-up Treatment, as described earlier, Is provided to inmates after they complete the unit-based component and before they transfer to a residential reentry center.

The RCAP is operated as a modified therapeutic community where inmates are expected to model the pro-social behaviors expected In a community, This means ROAP participants are role models to other inmates. Therefore, they are to demonstrate honesty, to relate positively’with their peers, and to fully participate in all treatment activities in the unit. The RDAP is a half-day program, with the rest of the day devoted to work, school, and other self-improvement activities, The RDAP Is available In 62 Bureau institutions. It is not available here at FCC Oakdale.

If you are interested in volunteering for the RDAP and would like to know if you are eligible for the program, contact the Institution’s drug abuse proeram coordinator. You may apply for the prOBram at any time during your Incarceration, but your Interview, like program admittance, will be based on your proKimity to release. Ordinarily inmates are interviewed 42-24 months from release depending on the facility’s security level and waiting list for the ROAP.
0, Earty Release

The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 allows the BOP to grant a non-violent Inmate up to 1 year off his or her term of Imprisonment for successful completion of the residential drUB abuse treatment program (TItle 18 U.S.C. § 3621(e)(2)). For more information, talk to an institution drug abuse treatment specialist or drug abuse program coordinator.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Was this information helpful?
Was this information accurate?
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
How does this prison score on this topic?
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>