FDC SeaTac Employment

Sep, 19 11 Post by: admin | No Comments

Work Assignments

After designated (Cadre) inmates complete the Admission and Orientation (A&O) Program, and have been medically cleared to work, they will be assigned to a work detail. If possible, you will be assigned to the type of work which you prefer. However, you must be qualified for the work detail you prefer. Even so, the needs of the institution will be given first consideration when assigning you to a work detail. Some of the positions are full time, and others are part-time.

Several facts we consider when assigning you are as follows:

Institution Needs Previous Work Experience
Physical Condition General Attitude
Education Security/Custody Level
Intelligence Work Quotas

Here are some of the work details and training available for you at FDC SeaTac:

Food Service – Cooks, bakers, butchers, orderlies, dishwasher, operators, clerks
Mechanical Services – Electricians, plumbers, cement finishers, masons, mechanics, welders, painters, carpenters, laborers, clerks
Warehouse – Clerks
Institution Hospital – Orderlies
Education – Librarians, tutors, and orderlies
Laundry – Clerks, clothing dispensers
Sanitation – Sanitation workers
Institution Maintenance – building orderlies

Pretrial, I.C.E. Detainees, and holdovers inmates can be assigned to a work detail. However, most assignments are in the housing unit as orderlies. Additionally, a work waiver must be completed by pretrial and ICE Detainee inmates prior to being placed on a work assignment. If you quit a work assignment, you will not be considered again for any other work detail.

If you wish to change your job assignment, you must submit a written request for a job change to the your Correctional Counselor, on an Inmate Request to Staff Form, indicate what your present job assignment, and the job assignment you wish to work. The form must contain both the signature of your present Work Supervisor and the signature of the requested Work Supervisor. Usually, job changes will be made only when there is an obvious need and benefit either to the institution, to you, or both.

Performance Pay

If you are assigned to a paid work assignment, you may be awarded Performance Pay if your Work Supervisor recommends you for it.

Presently, pay rates are as follows:

Grade 4 = $.12/hour; 3 = $.17/hour; 2 = $.29/hour; 1 = $.40/hour and Maintenance Pay=$5.25/month

Outstanding work performance can result in a bonus up to 50% of your base pay. These rates are subject to change according to Federal Bureau of Prisons Policy. You will be paid only for those hours during which your job performance is satisfactory. Each work detail has a specific number of positions allotted which are utilized to receive performance pay.

If you are having problems concerning your performance pay, you should report these problems immediately to your Work Detail Supervisor. Performance pay is ordinarily deposited in your Commissary account within 10 working days after the end of month.

For more detailed information, see Program Statement 5251.6, entitled Inmate Work and Performance Pay.

Those inmates in Financial Responsibility Program Refusal Status can earn no more than maintenance pay.


FDC SeaTac will make every effort to provide you with a safe environment while you are working at your assigned detail. Each individual worker will also be provided with the appropriate safety equipment. For your own good health and welfare, you must follow certain rules and regulations while assigned to a work detail. Failure to follow the rules listed below could result in disciplinary action.

1. It is your responsibility as an inmate worker to use the safety equipment issued to you. This safety equipment will protect you against physical injury and/or health hazards. Make sure that you are properly wearing all required personal protection equipment before you begin a work operation. Personal protection equipment includes goggles, safety shoes, aprons, arm guards, hard hats, gloves, and respirators (must be medically cleared), if applicable.
2. You must wear safety goggles when performing any grinding, chiseling, filing, chipping.
3. You must wear hearing protection at all work stations designated as high noise level areas.
4. You must wear your issued steel-toed shoes on all work assignments.
5. You should report all safety hazards immediately to your work supervisor. Do not continue to work in any area or on any machinery or equipment that is unsafe, or improperly guarded. If your work supervisor does not agree that an unsafe condition exists, you should report it to the institution Safety Manager.
6. You will only perform work that is assigned to you. You are strictly forbidden to operate machines or equipment, or to perform any work operation, that has not been specifically assigned to you or on which you have not been trained to operate by your supervisor.
7. You are forbidden to operate equipment without using the safety guard(s) provided. You are forbidden to remove the safety guard(s).
8. Do not try to adjust, oil, clean, repair, or perform any maintenance on any machine while the machine is in motion. You must stop the machine first. You should use lock-out devices where possible.
9. You must not stand up in moving vehicles. You should sit on the seats provided. Keep any chains across the back of the vehicle in place. You must not attempt to dismount from a moving vehicle until the vehicle has stopped completely.
10. It is your responsibility as an inmate worker to exercise care
and common sense in conducting your assigned work.
Horseplay on the job will not be tolerated.
11. Use of a radio is not permitted while on your work assignment.
12. In the event of an accident or other type of injury, you must report it
To a staff member immediately.
13. Note, there will be specific instructions posted on the unit bulletin
board regarding the safe procedure for accessing the upper bunk.

Federal Tort Claim

If negligence results in personal injury or damage to you, a claim can be pursued under the Federal Tort Claims Act. To file such a claim, you must complete a Standard Form 95, obtained from the Safety Office. All claims for damage under the Federal Tort Claims Act must be filed within two (2) years of the incident. For property related matters, you must file Form BP-A0943, Small Claims For Property Damage or Loss. These forms are available in the Law library or from unit team. You must mail the forms to the Regional Office from where the claim occurred.

On-the-Job Injuries

If you are injured while performing your assigned duty, you must immediately report this injury to your Work Supervisor. Your Work Supervisor will then report the injury to the Institution Safety Manager. You may be disqualified from eligibility for lost time wages or compensation if you fail to report a work injury to your Supervisor within forty-eight (48) hours of the injury.
If you are injured while performing your assigned duty, and are still impaired at the time of your release, you need to contact the Safety Manager not less than thirty (30) days before your release or transfer to a CCC (halfway house) in order to submit a claim for compensation. A medical evaluation must be included in your claim before any compensation can be considered.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Was this information helpful?
Was this information accurate?
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
How does this prison score on this topic?
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>